Off-Beat purchases in most cases happen to fulfil dreams or to get the best for your buck. Here is a list of such cars you can buy Under Rs. 5-Lakh-
1. Honda Accord (2008-2010 models)
- Big on space. Be it the interior or the boot space.
- Interiors feel rich.
- The V6 has brutal power. Also, have an option of choosing the 2.4L engine with a manual transmission. The 2.4 AT is widely popular.
- Being a Honda, it;s very reliable. Service costs are relatively cheap.
- All the engines are fuel guzzlers no wonder its a popular choice among the CNG users. You get an economical & reliable luxury sedan after converting it to CNG.
2. Toyota Camry (2006-2010 models)
- Reliable, easy to maintain and a sofa like back seat. One of the best cars to get chauffeured in.
- Torquey and powerful 2.4L petrol engine. Surprisingly fuel efficient for its size. Available in both MT & AT options.
- Well tuned suspension. Offers decent comfort and balanced handling characteristics.
- Being a Toyota, Reliability is unquestionable. Service network is widespread and parts can be sourced easily.
- Finding a decent Camry is difficult. Many cars were used and abused by 5-star Hotels.
3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W211)
- It's a Mercedes-Benz E-Class, One of the most respected luxury sedans in India.
- Timeless design. Looks classy.
- Mercedes-Benz and Diesel are a perfect combo. E220 CDI for the fuel efficiency and the E270 & E280 CDI for the power.
- A well-built car. Gives a perfect sense of security.
- The petrol engines were either fuel guzzlers (E280) or underpowered (E200K).
- Parts quality wasn't as good as it is generally with Mercedes-Benz products.
- Spare parts can be sourced easily and the service network is widespread.
- The cost of spares is high and the electronics cost a bomb to replace.
4. Volvo S80 (2006-2008)
- Stylish timeless design. The design never gets boring.
- Being a true Volvo, it does well built.
- The V8 petrol is powerful and is pure music to your ears. AWD (all-wheel-drive) layout is an icing on the cake.
- Perfect balance between handling and ride comfort.
- Inexistent dealer network.
- Finding spares is going to be very difficult.
- Finding a clean S80 V8 is very difficult
5. Chevrolet Captiva (2008-2009)
- A Big SUV which can seat 5 adults and 2kids. Exterior design is balanced. Neither quirky nor beastly for an SUV.
- Powerful Diesel engine mated to both MT and AT layout offered in both Front-wheel drive and All-wheel drive layout.
- Spacious interiors and a big boot with the third folded down.
- Acceptable handling characteristics and ride quality.
- A high cost of ownership as parts are expensive.
- Not very reliable in the long run.